I am excited to invite you to AFSC’s 2022 Corporation Program! From April 3-7, join us for “Quaker Action for a Just World,” a virtual gathering of Friends to discuss what we can do to build a vision of a sustainable, just, and peaceful future. We welcome you to join us for a panel of Quaker climate activists, workshops on key peace and justice issues, and a keynote speech from Winona LaDuke as a part of AFSC’s annual corporation meeting.
Please share this invitation with your Monthly Meeting or Church, and any other Friends in your network. We look forward to seeing you there!
If your meeting or church does not yet have a liaison, I ask that you continue to invite Friends and others in your community to sign up for this email. They will get invitations curated specifically for Quakers. And as always, feel free to contact me with questions or comments at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are some other ways you can engage with AFSC, plus a few updates on our work:
- Register: Guided by the light of our North Star, above and within: AFSC Corporation Program 2022 (April 4, 7 p.m. ET): AFSC’s Healing Justice Network invites you to learn about the healing-focused vision of our North Star. Led by Lewis Webb, Jr. and Mary Zerkel, this workshop will explore restorative justice, police and prison abolition, and an end to the carceral system. Our 90 minutes together will include reflection, interactive engagement, and strategies to take back to local meetings and communities.
- Register: Restricted space in climate justice activism: AFSC Corporation Program 2022 (April 6, 12 p.m. ET): The challenges and risks facing those supporting and advancing climate justice are linked to the gap between civil society organizations and government policies on climate. In this workshop, AFSC’s Bilal Olimat will present an analysis and suggest actions to support climate justice activists as they face a limited space.
- Register: Gaza in Focus webinar (Mar. 15, 12 p.m. ET): We will hear from human rights defenders in Gaza. And we will discuss recent U.S. opinion polling data on U.S. policy supporting the 16-year-old blockade on Gaza. This webinar is part of AFSC’s No Way To Treat a Child campaign with Defense for Children International-Palestine.
- Announcing our nominee for the 2022 Nobel Peace Prize: AFSC and Quaker Peace & Social Witness have nominated public health advocate Dr. Miriam Were of Kenya for the Nobel Peace Prize. Over the past 50 years, she has worked to bring health care to all, particularly low-income and rural communities, despite risks to her own safety.
- Responding to conflict in Ukraine: Read AFSC's full statement, which includes a message from Ukrainian Quakers: The invasion of Ukraine must be stopped – but U.S. military aid is not the answer. And learn more in this blog from AFSC’s Tori Bateman on 5 things to know about what’s happening in Ukraine.
- And don’t forget to follow AFSC on social media!: Stay up to date on upcoming events and action alerts. We're talking about alternatives to prisons, Ukraine, immigration, and more. Join us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Thank you for your continued support of AFSC’s work and all that you do in working for a more just and peaceful world!
Sofia Di Pietro
P.S. You can find more ways to get involved at our updated Friends Engage page.