Hold Those Who Profit From Occupation Accountable
The last week of violence, bombings, and death in Gaza, make clear that we must redouble our existing efforts to organize effective campaigns against those who profit from and are responsible for enabling Israel’s ongoing occupation of Palestine.
There have been many calls by our allies in Palestine to respond to the attacks on Gaza through international solidarity, including through Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) campaigns. We have seen calls from the Palestinian Boycott National Committee and the Palestinian Centre on Human Rights. AFSC invites you to join We Divest, of which we are a member, in demanding that retirement giant TIAA-CREF divest immediately from all companies profiting from the Israeli occupation and from the escalation of violence that has already taken over 145 lives, 97% of them Palestinians.
In addition to mobilizing emergency protests and actions (listed here), this is an opportunity to raise awareness of the importance and urgency of BDS, and to take effective action to challenge U.S. and corporate support for Israel’s attacks on Palestinians.
Call TIAA-CREF CEO Roger Ferguson. Dial: (212) 490-9000, Press 1, when prompted for name of person you are calling say: “Roger Ferguson”
- If you are a TIAA-CREF participant, you can let them know you are concerned about their profiting from the attack on Gaza and urge them to investigate the companies in their portfolios, including Caterpillar, Elbit, and Northrup Grumman that are profiting from the occupation. You can let them know that you believed TIAA-CREF provided financial services with a commitment to the greater good. Human rights violations and violations of international law and profiting from war is not the greater good.
- If you are not a TIAA-CREF participant, you can let them know that you are a “potential participant” and that you thought TIAA-CREF provided financial services with a commitment to the greater good. Human rights violations and violations of international law don’t sound like the greater good to you.
SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT ELBIT & NORTHRUP GRUMMAN
Use Twitter, Facebook, email to spread the word to your networks about how companies like Elbit and Northrup Grumman are profiting from this attack on Gaza.
Suggested hashtag: #BDS4Gaza
- Elbit manufactured Hermes drones used to terrorize and kill Gaza civilians http://ow.ly/fp6OJ #BDS4Gaza @TC_Talks
- .@TC_Talks invests $205 million in @northropgrumman, providing key equipment to Israeli military to bomb Gaza #BDS4Gaza
- .@TC_Talks, divest from Elbit, the main provider of drones and missiles being dropped on Gaza civilians. #BDS4Gaza
- Divest from @HP, which provides crucial IT support to Israeli army and navy carrying out human rights abuses now in Gaza #BDS4Gaza @TC_Talks
- .@TC_Talks, divest from @MotoSolutions, which provides Israel’s wall around Gaza, making it an open-air prison. #BDS4Gaza
- DIVEST NOW from corporations profiting from Israel’s assault on Gaza civilians: Elbit, @HP, @MotoSolutions, @northropgumman #BDS4Gaza
- Without help from Elbit, @HP, @MotoSolutions, @northropgumman, Israel wouldnt be able to carry out these attacks on Gaza civilians #BDS4Gaza
- ‘Five ways to effectively support Gaza through Boycotts, Divestment and Sanctions’: http://bit.ly/S5Y0TR #BDS4Gaza
- ‘Stop a New Israeli Massacre in Gaza: Boycott Israel Now!’ http://bit.ly/UarQHB #BDS4Gaza
The Elbit-manufactured Hermes 450 drones have been responsible for not only the surveillance of, but also attacks and death of Palestinian civilians since 2006. Elbit’s equipment is also used in the impenetrable walls surrounding the Gaza Strip—effectively denying the 1.7 million Palestinians living there access to the outside world.
The IDF used Northrop-equipped Apache helicopters and F-16s to launch Northrop’s Hellfire missiles. Such use of “non-precision weapons in densely-populated residential areas” caused death tolls to reach 1,300 in three weeks during Operation Cast Lead in 2008/2009; 5,000 more were injured. The Israeli military also used Northrop Equipment to target homes, businesses, schools and healthcare facilities in order to further “damage the infrastructure in Gaza, worsening the humanitarian crisis.
- Here is a link to Frequently Asked Questions about T-CREF and Elbit - it focuses on the Wall in the West Bank but also refers to Elbit's involvement in the "separation fence" in Gaza and in producing the drone missiles often used to bomb Gaza. See pages 12-13 especially.
- A fact sheet about TIAA-CREF and Elbit can be found here.
- Stop the Wall's page on Elbit divestment: http://stopthewall.org/ar/node/7857
- We Divest’s page with information on Northrup Grumman: http://wedivest.org/learn-more/northropgrumman/
JOIN THE SODASTREAM BOYCOTT
This week, an interfaith group is launching a boycott of SodaStream, a device that makes carbonated water and soda from tap water, made primarily in the illegal Israeli settlement of Mishor Adumin. Click here to see the list of faith based groups, including AFSC, that have endorsed this campaign.
SodaStream is being widely promoted this holiday season at such outlets as Costco, Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, Macy’s. In response, a Boycott SodaStream Day of Action on “Black Friday,” the day after Thanksgiving and throughout the holiday season has been organized. Take action by joining or organizing a boycott event this Friday or through the holiday season.
Here are some resources to ask retailers not to sell SodaStream and to educate buyers about this product.
Help amplify voices for peace in both Israel and the occupied Palestinian territories by making a tax-deductible contribution to the American Friends Service Committee.
Your gift will help Palestinians and Israelis who oppose violence have a greater say in their region’s future.