Walking the Path to Peace and Security
Fourteen Art Panels were created by faith groups for the Ten Years After 9/11: Walking the Path to Peace and Sercurity exhibit.Photo: AFSC
The Ten Years After 9/11: Walking the Path to Peace and Security community art project is a collaboration between the Kansas City Interfaith Council and the American Friends Service Committee’s Kansas City Program.
Kansas City American Friends Service Committee undertook the project to focus attention on what our faith traditions have to say about pursuing peace and security, even in challenging times of suffering, sorrow and threat. The project was created in recognition of the tenth anniversary of 9-11 and ten years of the “war on terror.” Fourteen faith groups illustrated 4' by 6' panels reflecting their faith tradition’s wisdom and vision of the path forward to peace and security in this post-9/11 world. (Click this link for photos of panels.)
While each faith has its own perspective, a common thread revealed in this project is the recognition that we are one human family sharing the earth and its resources. Faith voices are united in recognizing that the greatest security comes from recognizing our common humanity and increasing understanding, compassion and caring for our brothers and sisters. Thus in response to 9-11 and in each moment we must choose — hope over fear; uplifting others over exploiting them; and peace over violence and war.
Greater Kansas City Interfaith Council, www.kcinterfaith.org, 913 548-2973
To schedule a showing of the exhibit, contact Ira Harritt at firstname.lastname@example.org, 816 931-5256
Upcoming Walking the Path to Peace and Security Exhibits
- September 7 & 8 at the World Day of Prayer, Unity Village, 1901 NW Blue Parkway, Lee’s Summit, MO
- September 10-13, Community of Christ Temple, 1001 W. Walnut, Independence, MO
- September 11, Sunday, 4:30pm - 6:00pm, Walking the Path to Peace and Security Exhibit Reception and Program, Shalom Room, Community of Christ Temple, 1001 W. Walnut, Independence, MO
- September 15-30, Midcontinent Library Genealogy Center, 3440 Lee’s Summit Rd., Independence, MO
- November 6, Sunday, 5:00pm – 8:30pm, Ten Years Later- A Community Gathering Renewed, All Souls Unitarian Universalist Church, 4501 Walnut Street, KCMO