AFSC has called for an end to the Afghan war coupled with a commitment to the country’s reconstruction. This approach will provide the best means for reconciliation and security for the Afghan people. AFSC recommends that:
- No additional troops be sent to Afghanistan.
- A timeline be created for the withdrawal of U.S. troops.
- All parties involved in the war engage in diplomacy and dialogue - without preconditions.
- Civilian-led organizations provide badly needed development aid.
- Congress redirect the $72.3 billion allocated for the war this fiscal year to human needs in Afghanistan and at home.
As citizens of a nation that initiated and continues to prosecute the war, it’s important for us to reflect upon the costs and what role we can play in creating peaceful alternatives.