Faces of Hope: Learn About the Palestinian-Israeli Conflict
Occupation Realities: The Siege on Palestinian Life
Nearly every facet of Palestinian life in the occupied Palestinian territories (oPt) is controlled by Israeli military policies. These policies restrict movement and isolate and harass the civilian population. This state of siege is marked by closures in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, regular curfews, roadblocks, checkpoints, electric fences, and walls.
It is almost impossible to move people or goods within or out of the oPt. This not only strangles the civilian population but also devastates the Palestinian economy and weakens Palestinian organizations and institutions. This state of siege intensified drastically after the beginning of the second Intifada (uprising) in September 2000 and the election of a new Palestinian Parliament in 2006.
Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid
Discussion Guide and Resources
President Jimmy Carter's book Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid has been an important contribution to the discussion of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict in the United States.
The AFSC hopes that President Carter's book serves to promote more dialogue and reflection about the history of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict, the U.S. role in the conflict and prospects for peace in the region. Below we have gathered several resources to help in this discussion including an AFSC-produced reading and discussion guide.
Faces of Hope Resources
- Palestinian Nonviolent Resistance to Occupation Since 1967
- Resistance and Refusal in Israel Since 1967
- Resistance and Refusal in Israel Since 1967 Discussion Questions
- Nonviolent Resistance and the Olive Harvest
When the Rain Returns: Toward Justice and Reconciliation in Palestine and Israel
This book describes the experiences and analyses of an International Quaker Working Party, composed of eleven Quakers and three friends-of-Quakers, who recently visited Israel, Palestine and neighboring countries.
Occupation Realities Fact Sheets
- Occupation Realities Overview
- East Jerusalem and the Politics of Occupation
- House Demolitions
- Palestinian Refugees
- The Palestinian Health Care Crisis
- The Wall
Fact Sheets/General Information
- Principles for a Just and Lasting Peace Between Palestinians and Israelis, October 28, 1999
Statements from other Quaker Organizations
- Bridging the Gap: Proposals and Precedents for Third Party involvement in the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict- QUNO Briefing Paper, March 2004