Campus Organizing Conference Schedule
Campus Organizing Conference: Educate, Motivate, Advocate for a Just Peace in Israel & Palestine
Date: Saturday, March 5, 2011
Location: Washington, DC -- Cesar Chavez High School 709 12th St. SE, Washington, DC 20003
Schedule of Events
11:30: Registration Opens!
12:00 to 12:30: Registration and Welcome (a light lunch will be available)
12:30 to 12:45: Conference Opening
12:45 to 1:45: Panel Discussion
Bragging Rights: Sharing Our Success Stories (Speakers: Adam Horowitz, Mondoweiss; Abdelnasser Rashid, Harvard; Rae Abileah, Code Pink/Young, Jewish and Proud; Brian Van Slyke, Hampshire College graduate; Moderated by Maimuna Ahmad)
2:00 to 3:00: Conference Workshops I
- Messaging, Media and Getting Heard (Facilitated by: Max Blumenthal, Journalist; Andrew Kadi, Institute for Middle East Understanding)
- Strategic Planning for Success: Where do we start? How do we build alliances and coalitions? (Facilitated by: Felicia Eaves, US Campaign, Brian Van Slyke)
- Flashmobs and Street Theater: Taking it to the streets and dining hall (Facilitated by: Rae Abileah, Code Pink/YJP; Noura Khouri, AFSC)
- Walking on Egg Shells: How to have a conversation in a sensitive environment (Failitated by: Miryam Rashid, AFSC; Anna Baltzer, US Campaign)
3:00 to 3:15: Break
3:15 to 4:15: Panel Discussion
Disaster Zones: Surviving Organizing Setbacks (Speakers: Josh Ruebner, USC, Shirien Damra, Students for Justice in Palestine, Noura Erakat, human rights attorney; Loubna Qutami, Student, San Francisco State University; Moderated by Jacob Pace, IFPB)
4:15 to 5:15: Conference Workshops II (See above for a list of workshops and facilitators)
- Note - During the second round of workshops the workshop on Strategic Planning will be replaced by a workshop titled, "Gotta Get It - Essential resources for campus and community organizing" (Facilitated by: Julia Hurley, AAPER; Mike Merryman-Lotze, AFSC)
5:15 to 6:15: Panel Discussion
Stump the Chump: Questions for the “Pros” - Participants will be given an opportunity to ask seasoned organizers how to handle the hard situations that arise in this work (Speakers: Adam Horowitz, Mark Lance, Max Blumenthal, Noura Erakat, and Danielle Back; Moderated by Jennifer Bing, AFSC)
6:15: Conference Closing
7:00 Evening Event (open to the public)
Telling the Story of Gaza
Join bloggers Adam Horowitz (Mondoweiss) and Laila el Haddad (Gaza Mom) as they discuss their contributions to the new book "The Goldstone Report: The Legacy of the Landmark Investigation of the Gaza Conflict" (Nation Books).
Location: Busboys and Poets, 2021 14th Street, NW, Washington D.C. (14th and V St.)
Affiliated Events (You may register for both events on AFSC’s website)
Sunday, March 6 and Monday, March 7, 2011:
Grassroots Advocacy Training & Lobby Day
Join Interfaith Peace-Builders, the US Campaign to End the Israeli Occupation and other national groups for the 3rd Annual Grassroots Advocacy Training and Lobby Day in Washington DC. The event will provide seasoned organizers and new activists with the skills and experience needed to make a real impact. Gain access to resources on US aid to Israel and learn from experts in the field. The lobby day occurs in the first weeks of the new Congress, at a crucial time to have your voice heard in Washington.
Register for both the Campus organizing conference and the Grassroots Advocacy Training Days and get a discount rate of $70.00 for three days.