FALL 2010 - SPRING 2011
The American Friends Service Committee (AFSC) Peace Fellowship is a unique opportunity for college students to work with a 93 year-old peace and justice organization. Fellows will be provided with access to funds, resources and mentorship through the American Friends Service Committee in order to be strong peace and justice leaders on their campus. Fellows will be directly involved in the strategic planning and execution of social change campaigns, utilizing their training and creativity to organize for the policy changes we need. Students can be a part of an existing peace and justice group on campus or can create their own.
Qualifications for Fellows:
· Each campus that participates should have two Fellows who will co-lead their campus group and carry out the expectations of the Fellowship together.
· At least one of the Fellows per campus should be a sophomore or junior at the beginning of the Fellowship year.
· Fellows should have at least one faculty advisor who can provide support on campus.
· Fellows should have knowledge of and/or participation in activist work that has occurred on their campus.
· Fellows must agree to respect AFSC’s principle of non-violence and the intrinsic worth of every individual.
• Organize at least two events per semester on their campus-this can include meetings, film screenings, speaking events, exhibits or direct action.
• Attend a 1-day orientation for the Fellowship in Chicago, date TBA.
• Participate in at least one AFSC national conference call or on-line training each semester.
• Regular communication with an AFSC mentor.
• Join AFSC’s social networking site to stay connected to the network of Peace Fellows.
• Submit an Action Timeline each semester to an AFSC mentor no later than Friday, September 24 for Fall semester and Friday, January 21 for Spring semester.
• Write at least two blog posts per semester about campus activities and campaigns.
To apply for the AFSC Peace Fellowship 2010-2011, please email your resume and a 500-750 word essay on your role in peace and justice to Erin Polley at x-msg://firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “PEACE FELLOW” in the subject line. Application deadline is July 30, 2010.