Online Editorial Intern
Summary of Principal Responsibilities: The online editorial intern will assist AFSC’s web team with day-to-day content maintenance tasks and play a large role in a site-wide content audit that AFSC is conducting as part of its content strategy development.
Over the course of the internship, the intern will develop a comprehensive understanding of the content templates and writing standards used on afsc.org and will eventually assist program staff with some aspects of content creation, including writing web copy and selecting photos. The intern will gain experience in a multi-disciplined team, have opportunities to engage in content planning meetings with the web team, and help promote best practices to an international staff.
Essential Functions/Responsibilities: The key responsibilities of the Online Editorial Intern include the following:
Contribute to site-wide cleanup
- Conduct content audits with AFSC offices to identify stale content
- Recommend course of action for stale content
- Assist program staff with deleting the old and updating outdated content
Assist with day-to-day content maintenance tasks
- Learn AFSC’s writing style guidelines and best practices for web content creation
- Provide editing and proofreading support
- Learn how to add and edit content in existing templates in Drupal
- Assist program staff with writing and posting location-specific content, i.e. event descriptions, action alerts, and video summaries; assist staff with adding news summaries and links to afsc.org; assist with updating program, campaign, and topic pages as needed
- Research and write web copy to support event promotion, social media plans, and email newsletters
- On occasion, support Communications team with fact-checking
- Assist with ongoing research projects, including but not limited to, video promotion, infographics, RSS feeds, podcasts, social networks, and blogs for afsc.org
- Excellent web writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Familiarity with best practices for writing for the web
- Knowledge of Photoshop and web-based content management system preferred
- Basic HTML and web design knowledge desirable
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work constructively and collaboratively with people in a wide variety of professional positions; ability to communicate about technical matters in layman’s language.
- Understanding of and commitment to the principles, concerns, and considerations of AFSC in regard to issues of race, class, nationality, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, and disabilities. Demonstrated ability to work and communicate with diverse staff.
Compensation: $12 an hour
Hours per week: 15
The American Friends Service Committee is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified persons are encouraged to apply regardless of their religious affiliation, race, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or disability.
AFSC is a smoke-free workplace.
Web Editor Communications