Al- Dula Home - A child stands amid the rubble of the destroyed Al Dalu family home, Gaza City December 3, 2012. Ten members of the Al Dalu family were killed, as well as two neighbors, by an Israeli air strike on their three-story home on November 18, 2012. Four of those killed were children, and four were women.
This Thursday, July 24th, join AFSC and more than 50 other groups in protesting the ongoing attack on Gaza by writing to your government representatives and President Obama, organizing community actions, or otherwise making your voice heard.
In this latest round of violence, over 600 Palestinians, including more than 125 children, have been killed and thousands injured. Over seventy percent of those killed have been civilians. One hundred thousand people in Gaza have been displaced and are now living in makeshift shelters; electricity has been reduced to four hours or less a day for 80% of the population; water has been cut off to hundreds of thousands of Gazans; hospitals have been bombed and there are shortages of everything from food to medicines.
This situation must end, but simply achieving a ceasefire is not enough. For more than 7 years the 1.7 million residents of Gaza have been living under a brutal blockade. To achieve lasting peace the blockade must also end.
It is time to act!
Whether you can get out a crowd or just a few people, please do something!
Here are some possible actions:
- Visit your local Congressional office and invite the media to join you in asking questions of your elected officials/staff;
- Send a letter to your elected representatives and President Obama demanding that they take action to secure a ceasefire and end the Gaza siege.
- Hold a rally or vigil in a visible public space, and invite local news media. Commemorate the dead, reading their names.
- Visit the offices of a corporation profiteering from and/or complicit in Israel’s the attacks on Gaza; bring them a letter explaining why you are there.
- Go to the office of your mainstream media and demand balanced coverage; organize a letter writing campaign with examples of bad/misleading coverage.
- Support the international call for a military embargo of Israel
- Be in a public place asking people to sign a petition, either your own or one from another organization
Join us – together we can make our voices heard and can bring change.