The federal budget crisis is not a deficit crisis, but a crisis of priorities.
Choosing to continue enormous tax breaks for the millionaires and spending 60 percent of public discretionary dollars on the Pentagon makes no sense, as millions struggle to find work and to feed and house their families.
Federal, State and local government budget cutting is creating more unemployment, providing less help for people hit by job loss or illness and making the economic recession worse. What we need is to address our problems, to invest in our future, to cut excessive Pentagon spending and to make the wealthiest pay their fair share of taxes!
We invite individuals and groups to help change the debate.
Have your organization Endorse the Move the Money Resolution!
Join us in demanding policies that will heal our economy.
Individuals can join the Move the Money Budget Action Network and pledge to respond to action alerts.
KC Move the Money Resolution
Social Security and other services sustaining our community are under attack, and next to nothing is being done to create jobs. The Afghanistan war grinds on and the Pentagon budget keeps growing. Corporations and the 1%'ers are paying lower tax rates than the middle class.
Given this reality, we, the people call upon congress and the President to:
- Create and protect jobs by investing in manufacturing, schools, housing, renewable energy, transportation and other public services;
- Eliminate cuts to Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and Veterans benefits, and to housing, food and unemployment assistance;
- Provide new revenues for these purposes and reduce the long-term federal deficit by closing corporate tax loopholes, ending offshore tax havens, and raising taxes on incomes over $250,000 so that all pay their fair share; and
- Redirect military spending to these domestic needs by reducing the military budget, ending the war in Afghanistan and reducing the number of U.S. military bases overseas.
The following organizations have endorsed the KC Move the Money Resolution:
- Ad Hoc Group Against Crime
- American Friends Service committee
- Cherith Brook Catholic Worker
- Communities Creating Opportunity
- Disciples Peace Fellowship, KCMO
- Gray Panthers of Kansas and Western Missouri
- Jobs Now!
- Johnson and Wyandotte Counties NOW
- Mary Ellen Carter Foundation
- Mid America Assistance Coalition
- Occupy KC
- Physicians for Social Responsibility-KC
- Reconciliation Services
- St. James Catholic Church, KCMO
- St. Mark Hope and Peace Lutheran Church
- Tree of Life Foundation
- United Progressives